Super Mom is Actually a Village

Once upon a time, I used to look at other moms and wonder how on earth they are handling motherhood with such ease and probably still have a clean house and their sanity?! I had someone in mind that was my ideal "super mom." She always seemed so happy and her kids were happy, polite, and well behaved. I didn't see her often, but when I did I loved to talk to her and just be around her and soak up her happiness and awesomeness!

About 5 years ago at my brother's wedding we were able to chat. I was extremely pregnant with baby #5 who was born 4 days later. The first thing she said to me was, "How do you do everything you do?" I was so taken back by her question! I was shocked. In that one question it rocked my perfect idea of  "super mom." My ideal super mom was asking me how I did it?!!! My thoughts ranged from I must be more awesome than I know to I'm not handling anything right now! Anyways, my point is that no one person is "super mom" or "super dad" for that matter. Everyone has their own struggles and every child is different. Just because they look like they're doing great on the outside doesn't mean they weren't falling apart a few hours ago in their own solitude....or openly. Don't judge or assume. We don't know what we're all going through unless we've personally walked in that person's shoes...which no one except Christ has.

Since having more and more kids, I get asked a lot, "how do you do it?" My personal favorite is, "you must have so much patience!" Why yes...yes I do....or NOT! I never used to know how to respond to these questions or compliments because on the inside I'm thinking, "I'm not handling anything the right way." Or "I wish I could be better with....." Or something along those lines. Lately my response is usually, "we must be crazy!" or "Dr. Pepper..." Haha...it feels like it at times! Crazy...but worth it.

This last week being so sick has been very challenging for me. I'm not the type that likes to ask or admit I need help. Maybe that is my prideful side? Sometimes it's hard to let people into our lives and admit we need help. It is definitely a learning experience excepting help. Being humble enough and admitting, yes I can't do this on my own, I need help. Super mom simply does not exist.

However, in a way she does. It's all those people in my life that have stepped up this week and helped me out. My own mom was a huge help to me this week in so many ways I've previously mentioned. Greg took over many things. My sister took my daughter for a play day. My brother mowed my lawn. He is also a paramedic and checked my vitals when I felt it was hard to catch my breath. My friend switched me carpool weeks and took over this week. I had a neighbor friend show up at my door with a chocolate caramel apple and finding out I was sick she arranged to bring us dinner the next night. Another neighbor friend asked if she could pick anything up at the store and ended up bringing us dinner one night. I had a sweet neighbor girl come over and ask if she could help me with anything. I know I'm not mentioning everything because honestly I could go on! It's just like the saying that it takes a village. I sure feel like I've had a whole village help me this last week!

This "village" of people made it possible for my family to function this week and allow me to rest more while being so sick. My family was fed, homework and reading was done, kids got to where they needed to be, and my kids were supported in all their activities they participated in. I feel blessed and humbled by all these amazing people, my "village", around me. From an outsider perspective I was super mom while being sick this week. But in reality my village was super mom making everything else run smoothly while I did a lot of resting up. As a parent I can't do everything on my own. I need help.

Not only do I need help from "my village." But, most importantly I need help from my Heavenly Father above. I need Him to carry me through this illness and pregnancy! I need Him to help me watch over all my children. Kids don't wait for you while you're sick. I need Him. I need Him to send me this "village" which He put me in the middle of. The thing is, I don't just need Him when I'm sick. I need Him every hour of every day to guide me through parenthood. I'm so grateful He is their for me and my family because without this help, I couldn't do what I need to do.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Follow Your Promptings!

Be Brave Mom

Peaches the Miracle Puppy - The Second Miracle