More GI Grossness...Cry or Laugh?


Unfortunately, gastrointestinal issues can be kind of gross. Not much you can do to avoid it. Myles has a special formula that we feed him through his button. He used to have bolus feeds of formula every few hours and be hooked up to a pump all night long. He has come a long way since starting his adventure with a feeding tube! He is eating more orally now and using less formula, but still gets tube fed. The formula makes his poop stink to high heaven. I don't mean regular poop stink. I mean the worst room permeating stink possible.


Right before the baby was born (yes, I started this post before baby and I'm finishing it 5 weeks later...) Greg and I were at Smith's grocery store getting a few needed things. Lucky for us it was late enough at night that not a lot of people were there. While we were in the checkout line we realized that the bag of potatoes we had was bad. It had several rotten potatoes we didn't notice when we grabbed it. Their was no line and no rush. Greg went back to get a new bag, the cashier continued to scan our items, and Myles decided that this was a great time to take a poop. Also lucky for us, I had put him in a pull up before this outing!


Going "number 2" on the potty is difficult for most kids compared to going "number 1." But for Myles it's different. He usually doesn't give us any notice before hand. He usually can't hold it. This is one reason potty training is proving to be very difficult for him! He'll figure this out before college at least....right?!


Anyways, the cashier noticed the extreme smell. One minute she's fine and dandy and the next she's trying to hold her breath. Since we're already in line checking out and almost ready to walk out the door, I had no intention of taking him out to change him right then and there at the store. I'm simply wondering in my head where is Greg and how long does it take to get a new bag of potatoes! The cashier started waving her hand in front of her nose. She made a big fuss over the smell and then asked me if I could move him up to the end of the aisle (away from me and her).



Myles has been on the formula since he was about 14 months old so he has had plenty of poopy diapers in public places. People are usually very nice and don't say anything. We generally try to find a bathroom for a change pretty fast. I was so dumb struck by what had just happened I had no idea what to do. Laugh? Cry? Explain to the cashier that he has GI issues and it cannot be helped. Of course my pregnant brain couldn't figure out what my emotions were doing at the time.



Greg did finally make it back to the check out line after looking at every bag of potatoes in the entire store. He walked up and the smell hit him and we couldn't get out of that store fast enough. Good thing Myles cared less and wasn't phased by it.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Follow Your Promptings!

Be Brave Mom

Peaches the Miracle Puppy - The Second Miracle